Public Invited to View APS Budget on May 16
The Aurora Public Schools District Accountability Advisory Committee has scheduled a public hearing to review the district’s proposed budget for the 2013-14 school year. The meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 16 in the Professional Learning and Conference Center (PLCC) 15771 E. 1st Ave., Aurora, CO 80011.
A representative from the Division of Finance will present the proposed budget.
The final budget will be presented to the APS Board of Education in June.
APS 2012-2013 Budget Update from Superintendent John Barry
I’m thrilled to report that Aurora Public Schools voters approved ballot measure 3C, our $15 million mill levy override!!!!! This is based on our consultants’ review of unofficial county results. Official results will be available later this month. Here is what we know:
- YES 3C – 28,967 (55.53%)
- NO 3C – 23,200 (44.47%)
- YES 3C – 4,431 (54.12%)
- NO 3C – 3,757 (45.88%)
Latest Budget Information / Documents:
- 2012-13 Adopted Budget (Re-Adopted Dec. 2012)
- A Budget Message from the APS Board of Education.
- Budget Surveys
- Possible Budget Reduction Quadrant Charts
- Read more from Superintendent Barry.
- Learn more about the 2012-2013 budget process.
- Read other budget updates from Superintendent Barry.
- Read Frequently Asked Questions.
- Learn how APS plans to maintain its commitment to students.
A Look Back on the 2011-2012 Budget Process
APS faced an estimated a $25 million gap between revenues and expenditures for 2011-12. This gap was due to potential revenue cuts as well as cost increases in areas such as PERA, energy, and labor.
Of the actions taken to reduce the 2011-2012 budget by $25 million, 92% did not have a direct impact on classrooms and 50% provide recurring savings into future budget years.
- Learn more about the Budget Reduction Process for the 2011-2012 Budget.
- APS Board of Education Approves 2011-2012 budget.
- APS Board of Education Provides Guidance on 2011-2012 budget.
- Questions & Answers from the Budget Town Hall Meeting are now available.
- Staff and Parent Budget Survey results are now available.
Budget Updates for Staff
As a team, we must work to find needed cuts that are thoughtful, transparent and supportive of our strategic plan. During times of major crisis, the measure of an organization is how its members handle adversity. I know we are up to the challenge.
The impact of the economic recession on the Colorado budget are severe, and funding for K-12 education will be hit hard as a result.
There are no easy decisions in times of extreme budget reductions. Rest assured that extensive thought will go into each and every decision, and the final picture will reflect reductions that are thoughtful, collaborative and transparent. Our top priority will continue to be student achievement.
We are committed to including parents, staff and community members in the budget reduction process.
- We have developed a Special Budget Advisory Committee made up of representatives from all APS employee groups (AEA, CEC, SEA and DAAC), parents and community members.
- Staff members will have the opportunity to provide feedback through an online survey.
- We will also be collecting parent feedback through a survey.
Please know that we will work hard to minimize the impact of needed budget reductions on our students.
Thank you for your support.
John L. Barry
Created on July 23rd, 2012 | Last updated on May 3, 2013